Monday, January 28, 2013

Such a Great Salvation

Therefore we must pay much closer attention to what we have heard, lest we drift away from it. For since the message declared by angels proved to be reliable, and every transgression or disobedience received a just retribution, how shall we escape if we neglect such a great salvation?  (Hebrews 2:1-2 ESV)
We just started reading through Hebrews in my small group at church. Last night we discussed the beginning of chapter 2, which can be a notoriously sticky passage for a variety of reasons. Sometimes I get so caught up in understanding the controversy that I miss the most important part of a passage. I realized as I was preparing for our discussion that I had done that with Hebrews 2.

Such a great salvation. We truly have a great salvation - an infinitely glorious and holy God who sent His Son to bear the wrath that we could never bear so that we might receive grace and mercy. We have been pursued by a God not because we are worth anything or deserve anything, but simply because He delights to display His glories. We have been saved, redeemed, justified, adopted, and we will be sanctified and glorified. These are good and great things.

And yet...the author of Hebrews has to remind us to pay much closer attention. Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it. I see it in my heart. Such a great salvation, and I am prone to drift away.

I was reminded last night of how much I need Jesus. I don't see the works of the Lord without the work of Christ on the cross and the Spirit's application of that work to my heart. Even with that applied work, I am prone to drifting. The only remedy is to fix my eyes on Jesus, who is both the author and the perfecter of my faith, to pay much closer attention to His all-satisfying glories. I don't want to neglect such a great salvation. And so this morning, I look to Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment