Monday, December 10, 2012

Sovereignty in the Small Things

(This is my 100th post! So exciting.)

Tonight, I missed a missions committee meeting. I have been so blessed to serve on missions committee over the past year. It is an eclectic group of people who are of one mind, desiring to see the gospel of Christ proclaimed to all people. I never fail to leave feeling encouraged, convicted and reminded of what is most important. It really is one of my favorite nights each month. We meet on a Tuesday...most of the time. This month, though, we met on Monday. And unfortunately, I forgot.

It seems like a silly thing, but I was (am, actually) really disappointed. I have been looking forward to our meeting all week, and by time I realized what had happened, the meeting was almost over. There was a lot we were supposed to discuss, and a lot I was hoping to process through with people I trust on the subject of missions. But I missed it. And our next meeting isn't until January.

It's funny how I have a much harder time trusting the sovereignty and good purposes of God in the small moments of life than in the big things. I know the Lord's goodness, and in the big things, I have no choice but to trust Him to work all things for His glory and my good. If I don't trust Him, there would be no hope. But in the small things, it is tempting to ignore His sovereignty. God is using something as simple as a missed missions committee meeting for His purposes and my sanctification.

It's just a missions committee meeting. As much as I love them, it isn't the end of the world. And it was a revealing reminder of how quickly I turn to discontentment and frustration. God is good. And He is sovereign, over all things, even the small things. And that calls for praise and joy in all things.

No comments:

Post a Comment