Monday, April 9, 2012

Car Troubles, the Unknown, and the Sovereignty of God

About two and half weeks ago I purchased my first car. It's been so fun to have the freedom to go where I want when I want. Everything has been great. That is, until this morning. I was sitting in our driveway, and well, to make a long story short, I ended up backed up onto a lovely rock. At first glance, everything seemed fine, other than some scratches that now decorated the back of my car. But then my check engine light came on, and then I started to hear some strange sounds.

For all I know, nothing is really wrong, and it's all just a fluke or whatever is wrong is really minor. But right now that is all unknown and since I really don't know much about cars, I am left with the many possibilities that I can imagine, none of which sound particularly wonderful at this point in time. And that's the hardest part for me: the unknown. Once I know what the situation is, however bad, I can face it. But until then, I'm left with my imagination...and my rest in the sovereignty of God.

While I'm certainly not excited about the prospect of having to fix the car I just bought a few weeks ago and I have definitely replayed what happened wishing that I would have done something different, I also find great peace in the God who knows what is unknown to me and works everything for my good. This too is not outside of His provision and loving care. He sees, He knows and His timing is perfect. And in that precious truth there is rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment